Dinner in Paris

Dinner in Paris
We celebrated our engagement at dinner the next night

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Surprise

I met Adnan fifteen months ago through my Dallas friend Caitlin Starrs. We were both at William Decherd's annual banquet in Las Vegas . That night sent my life into a whirlwind of events starting first and foremost with finding my true love. I spent the past year flying between Chicago and Atherton, CA staying at 'The Compound' (Adnan's choice of residence with 9 other friends from business school) which was a daunting experience yet well worth it.

On June 15, 2007 our time came when we could finally be together permanently. We booked flights together to Chicago, CA, NYC, Paris and New Delhi which was exciting since we always flew alone, distressed to leave the other. So our adventure starts at Adnan's graduation from business school and now I know it will continue on and on.

Adnan and I spoke of our future and marriage. The words were frequent in our conversation since I had resigned from my job, moved out of my apartment and put my graduate school pursuits on hold in Chicago. Adnan asked me to please put trust in him to do the right thing for our future. In my mind, I prepared myself to get engaged after India meanwhile oblivious to the fact Adnan was looking for an engagement ring and then quietly holding onto one during our visit to NYC and Paris. It could be obvious to some that I would get engaged in Paris, but not to me and especially not on the night Adnan proposed.

The day of the proposal Adnan and I frolicked around Paris falling in love with the city. By the end of the day we were exhausted so I made dinner at our humble apartment. We waited peacefully in our apartment balcony for the lights of the city to turn on as well as the Eiffel Tower. Just as the Eiffel Tower announced its presence to the city, Adnan got on his knee pronouncing his love for me and his commitment to our future with a gorgeous ring.

I was stunned! To the point that answering immediately was impossible. I went into hysteria, my heart pounding rapidly while I stared down at my shaking hands with a new shiny diamond settling in until I heard Adnan's voice a bit anxious in the background asking me to please answer. YES, OF COURSE! I shouted. I finally hugged Adnan as an immense sense of peace took over my emotions. A special way to end our magical day and a fabulous way to begin our endeavors. Forever!

5 comments:

Yuphoric said...

I'm so happy for you two. Congratulations!

-KY

Anonymous said...

kristin -- so stoked for you both. i love the blog and love the story. don't forrget to keep in touch with us while you're traveling.

Anonymous said...

Congrats congrats CONGRATS! Such fabulous news -- and to think that the ring was hidden in OUR apartment!! It was such a treat to finally meet Adnan and get to spend some real time with you two before you left on your world travels... love that the engagement was just days later. Wishing you both all the happiness in the world... can't wait to celebrate with you when you're back in the states. We'll be checking your blog so write often!
xoxo,
Mel + Jason

Chess.com said...

ummm. MORE POSTS!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kristen! I'm so happy for you two! :)

-Liana