Dinner in Paris

Dinner in Paris
We celebrated our engagement at dinner the next night

Monday, July 23, 2007

She Said Yes!

Kristen made breakfast and we were off to our day's sightseeing adventure in Paris. We went to the Eiffel Tower but decided to move on after we learned that the top floor was closed for the day. We stopped by the Tuileries and relaxed for a picnic lunch. Afterwards we walked to the Louvre and spent hours visiting classical works ranging from Da Vinci to an exhibition of Napoleon's Apartments.

After an exhausting day we stopped by a cafe near Place Vendome for a drink and to rest our legs. Then we walked home through a number of amazing neighborhoods and saw the city come to life. This was the day that I fell in love with Paris.

Once we got to our apartment on Boulevard Richard Lenoir we managed to walk up to our seventh floor apartment as the elevator had been broken all week. Kristen made amazing tortellini pasta while I helped to sauté the chicken. We sat on our balcony overlooking the Paris skyline watching the sunset over this amazing city. As we waited for the Eiffel Tower to light up in the distance I couldn't imagine a more perfect moment.

I had planned on waiting to propose until we reached the Amalfi Coast in Italy. I had the ring in my possession and had been carefully hiding it from Kristen. I had been an emotional wreck ever since I had taken possession of the ring. Kristen had noticed and had spent the past week dealing with my shaky emotional state.

As we sat on our balcony and watched the Eiffel Tower light up in the distance, I knew that waiting until the Amalfi Coast was not going to work. This was the special moment. I went inside the apartment and got the ring from its awkward hidden spot. I said a silent prayer and then walked towards our balcony. My heart was beating intensely and my palms were sweaty. I was freaked out. I got on one knee and in a shaky voice asked Kristen if she would marry me. Simple question but I didn't anticipate the response. She burst out in near hysteria. She kept saying "oh my god, oh my god" while I lingered on one knee. I thought that I'd been on my knee for an hour. I tried asking for a second time and got the same response.

Finally, I asked a third time and insisted she please answer the question. She quickly said YES and my heart rate slowly came back to normal. We were engaged and I was in Paris with my fiancée. I could not have dreamt of a more perfect day.

8 comments:

Chess.com said...

Congrats guys!!!! That is so awesome! Thanks for the voicemail. I will be following your blog. It looks perfect :)

Bianca said...

We are THRILLED for you guys (is it lame to be speaking in "we" instead of "I"?)!!! You guys have so much to look forward to when you return from your fabulous adventures oversees. We can't wait for you guys to get back to CA in January so we can give you a big congratulatory hug and help you with wedding planning. In the meantime, keep up the great work on the blog...it's awesome and totally keeps us informed!
All our love,
Bianca and Jackson

Anonymous said...

We are proud of you guys. congratulations! You did the right thing. I am so glad that we got to know Kristin before engagement.Good job. Enjoy a safe trip. May God bless you with many things in life.Love

Anonymous said...

Ok so I'm wiping the tears out of my eyes after reading your engagement story and I couldn't be more excited for you two!!!! I can't wait to meet Kristen!! Congratulations!!!!

Jessica Callahan

Unknown said...

wooohoooo! i've been waiting for this moment! Kristen... be sure to ask adnan about all the adventures with our boy Andy in San Jose!

You two are the greatest, and i am especially excited that you are able to relish in the engagement through all the adventures you have this fall.

your blog is on my reader, so i'll watch every post with baited breath...

Kristen - i let my mom know the news... so watchout, it's probably halfway around milwaukee by now!

-john

The Nikodem Family said...

We couldn't be happier for you both! How romantic to get engaged in Paris and start your life together as a couple traveling the world. We wish you the best and can't wait to toast you when you return to the states.

Love,
Bridget and Greg

John said...

Kristen and Adnan - CONGRATULATIONS!

Kristen - as you know - you're about to marry a fantastic guy, smart, talented and fun, but so warm hearted and deep.

Adnan - it was a pleasure to get to know Kristen a bit during Stanford and you guys are an awesome couple! Engagement in Paris ... thanks for setting a high bar for the rest of us :)

Having a great time (With Dana, who's visiting) in Dublin - been here for a week. Miss you both :)

Blessings
john

Anonymous said...

Adnan and Kristen - CONGRATULATIONS! This is awesome news, and I am so happy for you both. Enjoy the rest of your time in Europe and India. See you when you are back in the Bay Area.
Dana